If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (706) 575-1930

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Can Candles Cause Home Fires?

3/16/2022 (Permalink)

From 2015-2019 U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 7,400 home structure fires that were started by candles per year. These fires caused an annual average of 90 deaths, 670 injuries and $291 million in direct property damage, according to the NFPA.

Candles can be nice to look at but they are a cause of home fires. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

If you're not interested in using flameless candles in your home, how can you enjoy your candles safely? 

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.

  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.

  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.

  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the
    bottom of the container.

  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.

  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage to avoid using candles at that time.

SERVPRO of Harris, Meriwether & Stewart Counties is locally owned and operated, so we’re already close by and ready to respond immediately when you need us. We make disaster "Like it never even happened." Give us a call today at (706)-575-1930!

Other News

View Recent Posts